The Great Hall, Edinburgh, August 24 2017
The Edinburgh Festival Fringe is the single biggest celebration of arts and culture on the planet.
"On their first visit to the Fringe, the well-known Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra Het Consort will give two concerts with highlights of their repertoire! Programmed are, amongst others, the famous Concerto by Vivaldi with Sebastiaan de Grebber and Ferdinand Binnendijk as mandolin soloists, the mesmerizing Autumn Song by Kuwahara, sensual Tangos by Piazzolla and virtuoso Spanish music by Albeniz and De Falla! Concerts not to be missed. 'Very good ensemble playing with artistic empathy, well balanced in sound proportion and especially striking in professional control' (Zwolle Courant). 'Ready for the large podia' (Leids Dagblad)."
Highlights of the past are the concerts in Netherlands, among which are those given in Amsterdam, Utrecht, Leiden, Eindhoven, Groningen and The Hague, and of course the ones abroad, i.e. in Ängelholm and Båstad (Sweden), Copenhagen (Denemarken), Logroño (Spain), Oostende, Antwerpen, Gent en Brussel (Belgium), Jeantes, Bancigny (Frankrijk) Arpino, Tivoli, Rome en Ala (Italië), and in New York and Rhode Island, Providence (USA).
- 2000: ´Gone with the Wind´ by the Dutch composer Annette Kruisbrink (financial supported by the Dutch Fonds voor de Scheppende Toonkunst).
- 2001: ´Tradition´ by the Belgian composer Marc Matthys (première in the presence of the composer in the concert hall De Rode Pomp in Ghent, Belgium. Financial supported by the Belgium Government).
- 2002: ´Ballando´ by the Italian composer Luca Mereu (première in the Wesopa Music Theater in Weesp, Netherlands).
- 2003: ´Paesaggio Arrabo´ also by the Italian composer Luca Mereu (première in the presence of the composer during the orchestra’s Italian tour at the concert in the patio of the Villa d´Este, Tivoli - Rome, Italy).
- 2004: ´Concerto per Orchestra a Pizzico´ by the Greek/American composer Victor Kioulaphides (première in the presence of the composer in the concert hall of the Stedelijke Muziekschool in Groningen, Netherlands).
- 2005: ´The Legend of Princess Noccalula´ for solo mandolin and mandolin orchestra by the American composer John Craton (première with the Dutch madolinist Sebastiaan de Grebber and in the presence of the composer during the concert at the Local Culture day ‘Het Snarenspel’ in Scherpenzeel, Netherlands).
- 2006: ´Perpetua Melomania II´ by the Dutch composer Jeff Hijlkema (the première of this composition took place at a concert Manhattan, New York, during the Summer tour of the Orchestra in 2007).
- 2008: ‘Bloemen van Spanje‘ (‘Flowers of Spain’) for two Guitars and mandolin orchestra by John Craton. The première of this composition took place on July 5th 2008 with the American guitar duo Mark and Beverly Davis in de Zuiderkerk in Zwolle, Netherlands.
- 2009: ‘Danseries anciennes’ for mandolin orchestra by the American composer John Craton (premièred on September 19th 2009 at a concert in the L’Eglise de Bancigny, France).
- 2009: ´Sinfonia a Pizzico´ for mandolin orchestra by the Greek/American composer Victor Kioulaphides. The première of this composition is scheduled to take place on October 16th 2010 in the Amstel Church in Amsterdam at the 20th anniversary concert of the Orchestra.